Sunday 31 March 2019

Lighting Technician - BBC East Midlands Today




Following a request by BBC Nottingham and a recommendation by Ben Sams, I was offered a Freelance role as a Lighting technician. The role was part of the Technical Production Crew for East Midlands Today evening bulletin which airs LIVE from 6:30pm – 7pm.

I was responsible for providing adequate lighting for the reporter and or guest(s) during an OB for the daily bulletin.

My responsibilities include
  • rig up lighting equipment
  • ensure all lighting equipment is in working order and carry out tests
  • position and plot lighting
  • operate and maintain equipment during the shoot
  • change lighting between shots, as necessary
  • de-rig all lighting equipment at the end of the broadcast and ensure its safely transported away from the location.
  • liaise with and work the camera operator on site

During induction, I completed a serial of compulsory training courses and risk assessment and safety management. I was also given the opportunity to attend a full day training on News Assignment and Location Safety (NALS) in London.

This role provided me with an opportunity to work as part of a team in a real-world environment and learn from the technical crew at the BBC Nottingham. I am most grateful to Ben for this excellent opportunity.

My first OB as a Lighting technician for East Midlands Today.

On Wednesday, the 30th Jan 2019. I was sent out on my first OB. The location was the East Midlands airport. On arrival, I surveyed the site together with the camera operator and made a decision on the best view for the OB. I determined the proper lighting setup for the OB and rigged the lighting equipment. At the end of the broadcast, I de-rigged all lighting equipment and safely transported the kits back to BBC Nottingham.


Pictures from various OBs covered and a video sample from an EMT episode is attached below.


Pictures from some of the jobs I help light.
Here is also a clip of a video preview.





Post a Comment

Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search